CHARDON, Ohio -- The suspect in the Chardon High School shooting had been previously charged with assault, according to court records obtained by Channel 3 News.
TJ Lane, 17, was ordered held today in connection with the Monday shooting and three deaths at the school. Lane attends a school for at risk youths in Willoughby and was waiting at Chardon High School for a bus to take him there when the shooting occurred.
But in September 2009, Lane was at his home when he participated in a fight involving his brother and an uncle, a police report said. Lane told police that he thought his uncle had attacked his brother and Lane had come to his brother's aid. The uncle, however, said he was the victim.
Lane later pleaded guilty to disorderly conduct, according to court sources.
It is unclear why Lane attends a school for at risk youth, but neighbors say Lane comes from a broken home.
His father, meanwhile, has twice been convicted of assaulting women with whom he had children. The first happened in 1997 when Tom Lane was charged with attacking TJ Lane's mother. He was also convicted of assault and resisting arrest.
The most severe case involving Tim Lane occurred in 2002 after filing for divorce from his then wife. Court records say he strangled the woman until she lost consciousness, held her down and dumped water over her nose and mouth, and also threw the woman's head into the wall. Tom Lane was sentenced to four years in prison but served about seven months. He was then placed on probation.